In a collaborative effort between the Jacana Literary Foundation and The Other Foundation bore the Gerald Kraak anthology award.
Jacana Literary Foundation and The Other Foundation call upon writers, bloggers, journalists, photographers, poets and academics to submit to submit their works ; exploring and celebrating the topic of sexuality, gender and human right. Submissions can be both published and unpublished.
The most exceptional pieces will be published in an anthology and winners will be announced at the official award ceremony to be hosted by The Other Foundation in 2017.
This years awards judging panel is a publishing trio powerhouse made up of Eusebius McKaizer, Sisonke Msimang and Prof. Sylvia Tamale
The winning submission will receive a R25 000 cash prize.
The compilation of the best works will be disseminated all around the African continent in countries such as Senegal, Zimbabwe, Uganda, Kenya Ethiopia and Namibia.
Entries that fall within the following categories will be accepted
- photography / photographic essays
- journalism / magazine reporting
- scholarly articles in academic journals and book chapters / extracts
- social media / blog writings and contributions
HOW TO ENTER
Written submissions must be in English.
- Up to three entries are permitted per author, across categories. Each entry must be submitted on a separate electronic entry form.
- Materials must not exceed 15,000 words or 10 images.
- We are looking for work which tells a story or illustrates an idea. If one photograph achieves this, then we welcome the submission of that single image. It is, however, more likely to be accomplished through a collection of photographs or a photographic essay.
- No handwritten or hard copy entries can be considered. Submissions must be made via the web link specified below.
- Entries must include a short biography (100 words maximum) and contact details. These should not be included on the work being submitted, as the award is judged blind and the author remains anonymous until the shortlist has been selected.
- Submissions are considered to implicitly indicate the entrant’s permission for their work to be published in the anthology, if shortlisted, for no payment or royalty
Submission closing date: 31 July 2016
Finalists announcement: 15 December 2016
Complete the application form here